Senior Women's Hockey is coming to Centre Wellington!
We are happy that we can now communicate the following:
- We have secured sanctioning and approval from the OWHA to run a Senior Women’s league under the auspices of the Grand River Mustangs.
- We can offer the following ice times beginning in January until the end of March
Tuesday 9-10PM, Sunday 8-9PM
- We have been working with a smaller group of interested individuals led by Brittany MacDonald to get this across the goal line and thank her for help and advocacy. While we all would have preferred a full season of hockey the ice constraints in Centre Wellington make this very difficult meaning that we can only offer a partial season. The Mustangs and Brittany’s group are optimistic that next year we will have a strong enough foundation so that a more conventional season can be offered in future years. It is worth noting that men’s leagues have the same challenges this year.
What Happens Next
- The Mustangs will review the number of games to be scheduled, complete a cost estimate, and provide a revised cost for this program.
- Another communication will be sent around November 10th that will establish a registration and payment deadline to firm up commitment so that we can be assured that sufficient interest remains. Expect that deadline to be early December as several logistical items need to be confirmed including jerseys, referees, timekeepers, and team composition. We thank you for your patience.
This has been a challenging year to ensure all young women can get on the ice. While this rollout is difficult it is important to remember that we’re blazing a trail for our daughters. We have our U22 program and girls as young as 14 thinking about where they will get to play in only a couple years and who are hoping for this to work.